The City of Costa Mesa is seeking applications for its new military banner program that honors Costa Mesa men and women serving in the United States Armed Forces (Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy or National Guard). Each banner will highlight one local military man or woman and will be flown for the length of their service. The cost is $300.
“Our goal is to honor and recognize those men and women who are currently serving our country and call Costa Mesa home,” said Tom Hatch, the City’s CEO.
Other cities in the Southern California that have implemented similar programs include Huntington Beach, Fountain Valley, and Diamond Bar.
Here are some specifics about Costa Mesa’s military banner program:
- Any person can apply for a banner for a serviceperson. The serviceperson must be serving on active duty. For the purpose of this program, active duty is defined as six months of continuous service in the United States Armed Forces.
- The cost is $300 for each banner, and it will be displayed for the length of the military man or woman’s service.
- The serviceperson must be a resident of Costa Mesa or the spouse, mother, father, daughter, son, brother, sister, grandson or granddaughter of a current Costa Mesa resident. Residency must be verified with a recent utility bill, driver’s license, or other form of identification listing a Costa Mesa address.
- The City of Costa Mesa staff will review all banner applications and determine if the eligibility requirement is satisfied.
- The banners will be placed on Fair Avenue from Fairview Avenue to Newport Boulevard on the fairgrounds side. In addition to the individual recognition, banners acknowledging Costa Mesa’s adopted battalion, the 1/5 Marines, will also be placed on the City Hall side of Fair Avenue. The City is seeking donations from those interested in supporting both banner programs. Checks can be made out to the City of Costa Mesa and sent to: City of Costa Mesa, c/o Military Banners, PO Box 1200, Costa Mesa, CA 92628-1200.
For more information, Dan Baker at (714) 754-5156.
Click on next page to fill out the military banner form.