As the Chief Administrative Officer of the City, the City Manager is responsible for the implementation of policy decisions established by the Costa Mesa City Council and the coordination of those efforts through various City departments. The City Manager’s office includes: Administration, City Clerk, Human Resources & Risk Management. The Administration Division of the City Manager’s Office includes legislative support, Communications & Marketing, and facilitation of the Network for Homeless Solutions. The City Clerk’s Office coordinates elections, council meetings and public records. HR and Risk Management oversee all personnel-related matters including recruitment and selection, compliance with labor laws and adopted MOUs, benefits, liability and workers’ compensation.
The City Manager’s office provides administrative direction to the City’s Executive Directors and is responsible for managing the activities and operations of the City, ensuring the provision of quality services, and representing the City’s interests throughout the region. The City Manager’s Office is focused on the Council’s top priorities, in particular to address homelessness, both locally and on a cooperative basis with other communities.
The City Clerk's Office is in charge of the following:
- Preparation of the agendas and minutes of the study sessions and regular and special meetings of the City Council;
- Maintenance and certification of records, ordinances, resolutions, contracts, business transactions, and final tract maps;
- Publication of the City's legal notices;
- Administration of oaths of office;
- Supervision of all municipal and special elections; and
- Filing officer for the Political Reform Act filings.
The Human Resources Division provides responsive and timely Human Resources services to City departments to achieve the selection and development of individuals who can provide the highest quality services to the community.
The city recruitment and selection system reflects a strong commitment to equal employment opportunity principles to achieve a work force representative of the community. It also promotes the development of productive employees through meaningful training and recognition programs and promotional opportunities. The Human Resources Division is committed to maintaining equitable compensation systems reflective of the local labor marketplace and providing effective and responsible administration of negotiated labor agreements through a partnership with the City's four employee associations and City management staff.
The Risk Management Division is responsible for the development, administration, and maintenance of programs to protect City assets, property and operational resources; workers' compensation; and administration of employee benefit plans. These programs include:
- Real and Personal Property Protection, including related insurance procurement;
- Civil Liability, including claims administration, loss funding and loss prevention/control;
- Workers Compensation, including claims administration oversight, loss funding, and workplace safety; and
- Retirement, health and welfare benefit plans for active and retired employees.
The Costa Mesa Communications and Marketing Division is committed to becoming the public’s main source of city information through credibility, innovation and collaboration.
Communications and Marketing informs, educates and engages the Costa Mesa community through timely and accurate information through a variety of channels and publications, including the City of Costa Mesa website, Costa Mesa Minute, CMTV, the City Hall Snapshot e-newsletter, the city news blog and social media platforms Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Nextdoor.
City Manager Tom Hatch can be reached at (714) 754-5328, by e-mail, or through his executive assistant, Lidian Estecoc, (714) 754-5328.