Group Homes/Sober Living Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The City of Costa Mesa has created this page as the main source of information regarding the City's regulation of group homes, including sober living homes, and certain state licensed facilities. The City seeks to ensure a balance between the needs of its residents, who wish to enjoy the peace and quiet of their homes in a traditional residential neighborhood and the needs of those living in residential recovery facilities to enjoy this same quality of life that Costa Mesa has to offer.

The City has invested considerable resources toward this cause and has revised its Municipal Code to regulate both small and large group homes as well as large licensed facilities in the City's residential zones. Below are links to information and resources available to Costa Mesa residents.

Expand/Contract Questions and Answers

  • Persons recovering from addiction to drugs and/or alcohol are considered to be disabled under state and federal law.

  • Definitions

  • The difference between a Residential Care Facility and a Sober Living Home

  • How the City regulates sober living homes.

  • Residential Care Facilities and Group Homes are permitted in single-family residential neighborhoods (R1 zones).

  • Residential Care Facilities and Group Homes are permitted in multifamily residential zones (R2-MD, R2-HD, R3, PDR-LD, PDR-HD, PDR-NCM, PDC, and PDI).

  • Reasonable Accommodation.

  • When a state license is required.

  • Overconcentration standards/separation requirements between Residential Care Facilities.

  • Limitations on the number of Group Homes that can locate in a certain area.

  • Group homes are not considered a business operation.

  • The City allows neighbors to provide input when the City is making a decision about granting a permit to a Group Home or licensed care facility to locate in a residential neighborhood.

  • Factors the City may consider when evaluating an application for a group home or licensed care facility

  • Types of conditions the City may impose when approving a group home or residential care facility.

  • Protections for individuals who may be evicted from a group home

  • How to report disturbances and potential zoning violations.

  • Locations of group homes and residential care facilities