The City of Costa Mesa’s pre-employment process is intended to ensure that the highest quality candidates are selected for employment. Prior to appointment, all candidates must pass a polygraph examination, background investigation, post-offer psychological evaluation and medical evaluation. Due to the extremely sensitive nature and related responsibilities of the Firefighter position, an extensive and comprehensive background investigation is conducted.
- Candidates must complete a 24 page personal history statement
- Candidates must complete a Pre-Investigative Questionnaire (275 questions)
- Mandatory meetings with the City’s background investigator
- Review and verification of all high school and college transcripts
- In depth background investigator interviews (in person, by phone or by questionnaire) with:
- Family members (Parents, siblings, adult children, etc.)
- Current and former spouses, partners, significant others
- Current and former supervisors, co-workers and subordinates
- Current and former landlords, tenants, neighbors
- Comprehensive, physical reviews of personnel files from current and former employers
- Review and verification of DMV records
- Thorough review of financial records and credit history
- Livescan fingerprinting for purposes of local, state and national criminal records
- Local police department/agency records check
The psychological evaluation consists of comprehensive questionnaires and an interview with a trained psychologist.
The medical evaluation consists of a medical history questionnaire, blood work, a drug test, physical exam, pulmonary function test, hearing test, and stress EKG.
The pre-employment process requires a significant amount of time and effort from both the candidate and the City. Candidates are strongly encouraged to carefully consider the above information regarding the pre-employment process prior to participation in the selection process. The pre-employment process ranges from 4-7 weeks.
Once a candidate has successfully passed all of the above elements, a job confirmation will be issued. At the beginning of employment, all new Firefighters will attend an in-house academy. Upon completion of the academy, the new Firefighter will be assigned to a station.
Note: The statements on this webpage do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provisions contained within may be modified or revoked without notice.