All Cultural Arts Committee meetings are canceled until further notice.
The Cultural Arts Committee works with City Council to support cultural arts programs and to bring art awareness to the residents of Costa Mesa, the City of the Arts. This committee works to establish programs, events and information that help residents access the arts in many different venues, and through multiple sources.
The committee meets on the 2nd Thursday of the month at 6:45 p.m. in City Hall's Conference Room 1A.
For more information about the committee, call (714) 754-5300, and you will be directed to the appropriate City staff liaison to the committee. If you are interested in participating in this committee by becoming a member, fill out the "Committee/Commission Board Member Interest Form," available from the City Clerk's Office or click here to download. Members are appointed in April.
MISSION STATEMENT The purpose of the Cultural Arts Committee is to enhance, promote and support our rich artistic community of Costa Mesa, the City of the Arts.
- Create an action plan to propose to City staff, based on the City of Costa Mesa’s Arts & Culture Master Plan.
- Award a minimum of five (5) grants through the Cultural Arts Committee Grant Program to benefit local arts and artist organizations
- Pursue six (6) local businesses to sponsor a utility box, growing the Utility Box Art Program.
- Create a maintenance plan for the Utility Box Art Program and include the replacement of three (3) utility box vinyl wraps that were installed in phase one.
- Install eight (8) new utility boxes art vinyl wraps
- Continue to partner and collaborate with other organizations: CM non-profits, local design studios, art stores, entertainers, NMUSD arts, etc.
- Increase the Costa Mesa Directory of the Arts (a yellow pages for art) submissions to include 125 local artist and art businesses.
- Host the 6th annual ARTventure signature event and feature multiple forms of art and entertainment.
- Establish a volunteer program, with twenty-five (25) volunteers to support Committee programs and projects.
- Raise $1,000 for the CAC Grant Program at ARTventure.
- Establish and launch program guidelines for a multi surface public art program.
- Create media that features local artists and events, and post on social media and website.
- Increase attendance at gallery receptions through additional marketing efforts and communication with artists or art organizations.
- Create and execute a maintenance plan for the mural located at TeWinkle Park, adjacent to the Bark Park and Skatepark.
LONG TERM GOALS
- Permanent Community Art Center to display artwork and conduct performing arts of Costa Mesa artists
- Provide City Council with advice relative to issues relating to Cultural Arts
- Hosted the 5th annual ARTventure event September 6 and 7 at Segerstrom Center for the Arts. More than two hundred and ninety-five (295) pieces of art were juried and displayed along with thirteen (13) student submissions. Prizes were awarded to selected artists. Live music and artist demonstrations were provided by Vanguard University and varies local arts organizations. and more than 1,750 attended.
- The Art in Public Places - Utility Box Art Program installed seven (12) boxes were affix with submitted art in the form of printed vinyl wrap.
- Increased social media presence on Facebook from 491 followers to 695 followers, a 29% increase.
- The three galleries, Art on the Fifth, Youth Art, The Exhibit, each featured four (4) Costa Mesa artists or art organizations and hosted four (4) receptions. Postcards and social media provided for each.
- Increased artists on the Costa Mesa Art Directory, a FREE online listing of information for Costa Mesa artist and arts organizations and galleries. The directory has 62 artists and 21 organizations a 28% increase
- The Cultural Arts Committee Grant Program raised $3,093 and awarded 3 grants totaling $1,500.
- In 2019, the Arts & Culture Master Plan was approved by the City's Cultural Arts Committee and the Parks, Arts & Community Services Commission.
- Agendas and Minutes
- Art on the Fifth
- Artist Showcase
- ARTventure event
- Committee Members and Staff
- Sponsorship Program
- Youth Art Gallery
- Arts in the Park
- Public art and utility box beautification project
- The Exhibit