Visit this page often for news and updates on the OCTA I-405 Improvement project, which will result in the creation of additional lanes from SR-73 to the I-605.
Currently, the San Diego Freeway (I-405) is one of the most congested freeways in Orange County, carrying more than 300,000 vehicle trips in some sections each day. By 2040, traffic volumes on the I-405 are expected to increase significantly. The I-405 Improvement Project will increase freeway capacity, improve traffic and interchange operations, and enhance road safety to meet state and federal standards.
OCTA in cooperation with The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is widening the San Diego Freeway (I-405) between State Route 73 (SR-73) and Interstate 605 (I-605). The widening includes the addition of one general purpose lane in each direction on I-405 from Euclid Street to the I-605 interchange, plus tolled express lanes in each direction of I-405 from SR-73 to SR-22 east. The tolled 405 Express Lanes and the existing HOV lanes would be managed jointly as a single tolled express facility with two lanes in each direction from SR-73 to I-605.
- I-405 Improvement Project Presentation - July 21, 2015 City Council meeting
- I-405 Improvement Project Environmental Documents
- San Diego Freeway Improvement Project Overview
- San Diego Freeway Improvement Project Committees
- San Diego Freeway Improvement Project Resources
- San Diego Freeway Improvement Project History